THE NATIONAL LEPROSY ERADICATION PROGRAMME
NLEP is a centrally sponsored Health Scheme of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India. The Programme is headed by the Deputy Director of Health Services (Leprosy) under the administrative control of the Directorate General Health Services Govt. of India. While the NLEP strategies and plans are formulated centrally, the programme is implemented by the States/UTs. The Programme is also supported as Partners by the World Health Organization, The International Federation of Anti-leprosy Associations (ILEP) and few othe Non-Govt. Organizations.
- 1. Decentralized integrated leprosy services through General Health Care system.
2. Early detection & complete treatment of new leprosy cases.
3. Carrying out house hold contact survey in detection of Multibacillary (MB) & child cases.
4. Early diagnosis & prompt MDT, through routine and special efforts.
5. Involvement of Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) in the detection & complete treatment of Leprosy cases for leprosy work.
6. Strengthening of Disability Prevention & Medical Rehabilitation (DPMR) services.
7. Information, Education & Communication (IEC) activities in the community to improve self reporting to Primary Health Centre (PHC) and reduction of stigma.
8. Intensive monitoring and supervision at Primary Health Centre/Community Health Centre.